Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Seven Nation Army - A pop icon

Several years ago I was at a Cal football game when the rooting section began a chant that immediately gripped my attention.  It was one of those things where "I know what this is, and I've heard it before, but I can't place it."  Then I started hearing it all over the place chanted by fans of various sports in various countries.  It was spreading like wildfire.  I finally realized that it was simply the signature riff of "Seven Nation Army" released in 2003 by The White Stripes.

Now, watching the World Cup, I hear the riff chanted by one group of fans or another each day.   So how did this come about?  I have done some research that I will share with you, but first, let's listen to the original "Seven Nation Army" track released in 2003 on an album titled "Elephant."  You will recognize the riff immediately.

Apparently, the chant phenomenon was born in Italy (or Belgium)  in October 2003 and began to mushroom thereafter within Italy reaching its apex at the time of the 2006 World Cup matches.  By that time it had become a theme chanted in support of Italy's World Cup team, "Azzurri." You can read how this all came about by clicking right here.  Another version, which also discusses migration to the US, and includes a Belgian role, can be found here.

Care for some real-life videos of the chant?  Try Spain v. Greece.  Or, Ohio State fans giving it to Penn State fans.  Or this, where San Antonio fans are rubbing it in the face of rival Miami.

Well, now you know the story.  I find it to be fascinating.

1 comment: