Thursday, June 12, 2014

World Cup rocks!

Way back when, when my son Jesse was playing soccer, I became a certified referee and over the years worked my way up to some State-level games.  I learned a lot about the game and became a life-long fan.  I also played on a team in the "over thirty" league, which was a gas even though our team was pretty awful.

So needless to say, I am fired up for the World Cup, which opens today.  The USA team ended up in a group that has been dubbed the "Group of Death."  The description is apt in that the the other three teams in the group are Germany, Portugal, and Ghana.  Germany is ranked #2 and Portugal #3, and Ghana has knocked the US out of the competition in the last two cups.  No high hopes, but the US getting out of the Group and into the next round would be amazing.

Anyway, things are going to get interesting right away:  Tomorrow (Friday) we have a reprise of the 2010 final with champion Spain taking on Holland.  Then the next day we get England vs Italy.  Love it.

1 comment:

Stallion said...

Croatia gave Brazil all it could handle even if the score made it look like they didn't. I think the most interesting thing is that the US coach said we didn't have a chance- Mind game?.