Monday, March 10, 2008

Ed Harris

We got around to seeing "Gone Baby Gone" on DVD the other night. I had read quite a few reviews and the blogs of good friends, which/who all lauded Casey Affleck and Amy Ryan's performances. But I don't recall much ink being spilled on the wondrous, gripping performance by Ed Harris. That scene with him and Affleck after Affleck has basically executed the child molester and Harris is getting drunker by the minute while examining moral relativity was Harris as good as I've ever seen him, and I've seen him in some truly great roles over many years. He has always been one of my favorite actors.

As for the flick, the plot was the typical Lehane contrivance, but in this case much, much less plausible than Mystic River. Still, it was a nice diversion, and again, hats off to Ed Harris.

~ tom

1 comment:

Lally said...

You're absolutely correct about harris, who is always terrific. I was one of those who singled out Casey Affleck and Amy Ryan because theire performances were more of a pleasant surprise. I had no idea Casey A. could pull off a leading man role so well, coming across completely realistically to me, as did she, despite the plot's contrivances and some of the other acting not being equally great.