Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Religion -- Bah, Humbug!!

This blog from the Huffington Post is so "right on" I am going to pull you collective coats to it. I think the whole thing is just peachy, but this portion really caught my eye:

[W]atching Huckabee I thought of Aaron Altman, the great, perspiring fictional conscience of Broadcast News, when he proposed that the bland and warm and home spun-newscaster Bill Hurt was the devil. Altman, played gorgeously by Albert Brooks says, " What do you think the Devil is going to look like if he's around? Nobody is going to be taken in if he has a long, red, pointy tail. No. I'm semi-serious here. He will look attractive and he will be nice and helpful and he will get a job where he influences a great God-fearing nation and he will never do an evil thing... he will just bit by little bit lower standards where they are important."


This is why I love the Internet. I would never have remembered this from Broadcast News, but it's so obviously relevant that I must genuflect to Jon Robin Baitz. Oh, and by the way, this does not just apply to Huckabee -- all these presidential contenders, elephant and donkey alike, should just say [ala T0mmy Jefferson]: "What I believe about God is totally irrelevant to my being the the Prez. It's none of your bee's wax. Now if you'd like to hear what I think about: Iraq, Iran, North Korea, Afghanistan, France, England, Germany, Social Security, Global Warming, Education, The Deficit, The Housing Market Crisis, Abortion, Farm Policies, Taxes, or 'Birth of the Cool,' just fire away!"

Out,

~ tom


No comments: