Thursday, December 13, 2007

A new thang...

Today, I'm beginning a new, probably sporadic service: referring you to music that I think you may enjoy. I have had a Rhapsody subscription from way back, which allows me to listen to pretty much everything I want to, immediately and on demand. Lately, on the advice of my son, I expanded that membership to allow me to download anything I want to my MP3 player. The increase in cost was from $12.00/mo to $15.00/mo, more than well worth it. I download stuff that is favorably review and listen to it while doing housework, walking my puppy, and so on.

I'm not going to try to review these recommendations, except for a line or two. However, in each case, I also will give you a link to the "allmusic" website, the best music site on the Net IMHO.

So here we go:

"Raising Sand" - Robert Plant and Alison Krauss - I'm a hopeless wreck when it comes to Alison, and hearing her paired up with Plant is just sublime. I once read an article about the Everly Brothers, which contended that their voices melded better than any duo ever -- well just listen to "Through the Morning, Through the Night" on Raising Sand for a close second, if not a tie.

"Back to Black" [Explicit version] - Amy Winehouse - Great stuff! About half way though I realized I was hearing traces of Dinah Washington, especially "What a Difference a Day Makes." But don't get me wrong, this is hard-edge contemporary stuff making its own statement, but paying it respects to the likes of Dinah.

Ciao

~ tom

1 comment:

Lally said...

glad you're doing this man. not just for my xmas wish list, as well as ideas for gifts for others, but because your taste is based on musical and social values I share, and is just as eclectic.