Thursday, November 5, 2015

I Am The Walrus

A couple of days ago I was doing my weekly vacuum of the the house while streaming Pandora with a good set of Sony headphones.  I keep the volume pretty loud to drown out the vacuum.  My Pandora station  for such work is seeded with U2, Van Halen, Audioslave, Snow Patrol, and Cream.  This produces a varied ass-kicking mix from Pandora.  Anyway, as I was working away, what should come on but "I Am The Walrus," original Beatles version.  This was a delightful surprise especially because the quality was top notch.  I hadn't heard it for quite a long time and I must say that it pretty much blew me away.  It's a weird but totally arresting song that literally creates its own genre.  The word is that Lennon wrote the entire song himself but agreed to list it as co-written with Paul.  To my ear, Lennon as the sole composer rings true.

Finding the tune on the Internet is difficult because of the tight control of original Beatles songs.  I heard that I-Tunes has the catalog but I'm not sure and I don't use that service at all.  Still, I was able to find the original video, which I had never seen before.  The quality is not that great and the video is ultra-weird but the music still comes through strong.  Also, I love seeing John in his element.  I'm sure you are chomping at the bit to see it, which you can do right here.

Enjoy and lemme know what you thought.

No comments: