Monday, December 5, 2011

Special weapons and tactics (SWAT)

The “occupy” movement has been the proverbial “pebble in the pond,” causing ripples across the political and civic ponds.  I have followed it with considerable interest, but as time has passed I have begun to feel a worrying unease.  The movement defines the “one-percent” and has done a great service in pointing out the utter, unforgivable immorality of allowing such a disparity.  But, in the back of my mind (cynicism at full volume) I worry a lot about what will happen if the one-percent ever really feel threatened.  At present, they are “annoyed,” but what happens if they truly feel threatened?  I know for a fact that they will react with oppression and violence that will mask as being “justified.”  And, when that happens I predict that one of two things will happen:  1)the movement will shrivel as citizens fear loss of their current station in life  (average as it might be), or even injury and loss of life, or 2) a true violent revolution will ensue.  

This belief of mine was brought into frightening focus when I read this article a few moments ago.  I usually don’t ever share a link to an article over a page long, but this three-pager is a required, and very scary, read. 

I hope I’m wrong, but I fear that I am not.

1 comment:

JIm said...

Swat teams are extreme for extreme conditions where weapons are employed by the lawless opposition. Pepper spray seems fine for most OWS instances. If they refuse a lawful police order and are notified that they will be pepper sprayed if they do not dispurse, so be it.