Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The unspoken perspective...

I have been elated to see the Obama phenomenon (this is being written even before the polls close in New Hampshire).

However, I have been bothered about my visceral rejection of Hillary in the process. When such inexplicable feelings intrude, I always try to figure out the so-called "deeper meaning" of those feelings.

Well, I figured it out. It all stems from Bill and Monica, but it's deeper than you might think. Of course I was, and still am, highly pissed at Bill for his stupidity for getting into an illicit relationship with an intern to the level at which he would be blowing his wad onto her dress. People are afraid to talk about it because Bill is a supposed icon these days, but his little exercise with Monica cost Gore the election in 2000. If you don't agree, just think of how things would have gone if Bill had never done what he did, including getting impeached, and Gore had been able to run on that record with Bill at his side. Get the point?

That's all pretty obvious, but, you say, why take that out on Hillary? Here comes the "unspoken" part: because she did not divorce the guy, or at least publicly trash him and make him come crawling back after a couple of years. Instead she capitulated and forgave way to early and easily.

I am not a moralist, uptight guy. But, based on my work and my life experiences, I recognize in Hillary the weakness and character defects I've seen in countless battered women who willingly go back to their own private hell. Take any variation of that motif and apply it to Hillary, and you'll get a positive match. My point is that how can she claim that she is going to be tough and discriminating as President in the face of her abject failure to do so in real life. You may disagree, but every time I see Bill actively participating in her campaign I winch and get pissed. I would be more impressed with Hillary if she had publicly banned him from him from participating.

This is not to say that private forgiveness is not to be encouraged. But, people understand that there are PUBLIC prices that have to be paid: witness, Imus getting kicked off his radio show even though it was the highest revenue-pr0ducing show that his network had. Sure he has come back now, but only after paying heavy public dues, which Bill has not paid in the Hillary context.
Sorry about the rambling nature of this post, but I realize I must publish it "as is" before I start editing it to make it less shrill.

~ Tom

No comments: