Monday, January 28, 2008

Poetry

Some of my favorite people, and my best friend, are poets. I have a deep empathy with them, which includes their frustration about the fact that few people read poetry on a regular basis. In that regard I am ashamed to admit that, while not as bad as the mass of transgressors, I do not read enough poetry. I know I should, but I just don't seem to be able to get around to it. In view of the first sentence of this post, it should be obvious that my shame is genuine.

Anyway, there was a very interesting review in Sunday's S.F. Chronicle touching on the subject. I think I will order the book. Maybe reading a prose book on poetry will help me view poetry as a forethought rather than an afterthought.

I loved a quote by Carlos Santana at the Grammys a few years back when he won a lot of awards. He said something like, "Listen to John Coltrane every day." I say, read some poetry every day.

T.