Thursday, January 3, 2008

Impending age

I'm coming up on 64 (will you still love me) in March. I was out walking Spenser in the rain today when I realized that I am appreciating and being grateful for things now that I would have never even brought onto my radar scope at earlier ages in my life.

This in turn rekindled a memory of a good woman friend of mine, probably now in her seventies, who when she turned 50 told me that it was her favorite birthday thus far. She explained that her mind had "matured" to the point where the quality of her "life-filter" had markedly improved, while her body was still at a physical level that allowed her to experience her matured perceptions on all levels, including physical.

At that time (I was probably late 30's), while loving this person very much, I viewed her observations as the rationalizations of the aging -- getting old was going to be a bummer. Now that I am well past that time on my own life path, I know EXACTLY what she was talking about. It is so nice to finally know what I really enjoy or do not enjoy in life, and just do it, or not do it, without pressure, guilt, or any sort of remorse. That freedom really makes me feel grateful and fulfilled. However, along with that I realize that a large part of my joy stems from the equally great gift of having been able to maintain my physical prowess at an acceptable level.

I can still ski, jog, take long bike rides, walk my dog for 5+ miles, work out at the gym and so on. Even so, I can feel those powers inevitably waning, which certainly brings a tinge of sadness into the mix.

But isn't that what I've heard all my life in song and prose? In my case: Wouldn't it have been great to have had my 63-year-old-mind in my 20-year-old-body or vice versa! It didn't happen then and it'll never happen now, so I'm just enjoying each day on its own terms.

~ tom