Monday, June 8, 2015

Ronnie Gilbert R.I.P.

Just read of the passing of Ronnie Gilbert.  She was one of the great ladies of the folk music world in the 40's, 50's and 60's, mostly singing as one of the Weavers.  The Weavers were comprised of Ronnie, Lee Hays, Fred Hellerman and Pete Seeger.  You can read about them right here.  Dig especially their clashes with Joe McCarthy and HUAC -- good people, the Weavers.

There are quite a few videos of the Weavers in performance but I found one that is really cool.  It is described by its contributor as follows:
Published on Sep 13, 2014My father was a chairman at "Nordens Smalfilmsförbund" in the 70's. (Nordic Narrow Film Association). After his death in 2005, we digged into all the 16 mm and 8 mm film reel of film he left behind. Some were with music like this one. I'm uploading this to YouTube thinking that it might just put a smile on someones face. Maybe someone out there remember this. And if that someone is just one person... well... then this upload has fullfilled it's purpose.Enjoy! :)
Here is his upload.  Enjoy the Weavers.


.

1 comment:

Lally said...

My mother's name was Irene, as was one of my sisters, so this song and the Weavers version of it was very big in my house when I was growing up...