Monday, August 9, 2010

Dinah & Amy

Way back in December 2007 I wrote a post in which I observed that Amy Winehouse reminded me a lot of Dinah Washington. So today, I decided to see if I was imaging things.

First I listened to a lot of tracks by both. Next, I picked out one 0f each for my little project. Then I went to Rhapsody and played the tracks while recording those streams in real-time with the "Total Recorder" software, which gave me a *.wav file of each track. Then I loaded the tracks into my Mixcraft multi-track recording studio and got down to some serious business. Here is the result.

Comments please...

2 comments:

Lally said...

Hmmm. I have to say brother, Dinah is way more to my taste. I see what you're getting at, but whether it's the production values or just the purity and tonal qualities of their voices, I wanted the Dinah back as soon as Amy started in...

AlamedaTom said...

Yeah, I should have made it clear that the demonstration was not one of taste but of echoing in my brain as I heard Winehouse for the first time and kept saying over and over in my head "who does that remind me of -- it's right on the tip of my tongue, etc." Then finally I realized it was Dinah. But, that being said,I too would much rather listen to Dinah than Amy.