Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Terri Lyne Carrington

Some years ago at the Monterey Jazz Festival I heard Terri Lyne Carrington for the first time, playing trap drum-set with Herbie Hancock, Bobby Hutcherson and other greats. They were all fabulous, but Terri was the salt the made the stew so fabulous. Like all great drummers, she was more interested in holding things together and advancing the "moment" (be it kicking ass, or mellowing out) than showing her prodigious technical chops. I have been hoping to see her live again, but no luck so far.

Anyway, I was thinking about her for some reason today, so I Googled her. Among other things, this came up: A perfect example of how selfless Terri is -- this is her group after all, and she could have given us a bunch of technical bombastic shit, but no, she just glues this all together. Hendrix would have loved it!

If you want to learn more about Terri check out her site

Oh, and just in case you hard-line jazz fans (I'm one too) aren't impressed by the Jimi Hendrix cover above, listen to Terri with Stan Getz. The opening solo is impressive, and I love her trading eights with the bass man and Stan at the end, and then riffing that final 8 with Stan at the very end.

As you can see, she plays with the "big boys and girls." Plus, you can fall in love with her for her looks and aloof charisma.

Five out of five stars for Terri...

TW

2 comments:

Lally said...

That Getz tape is fantastic. When was that recorded? He looks so young, but can't be! The whole group is brilliant, and Carrington holds it together, as you correctly point out. Thanks for turning me/us on to her. Great stuff.

Ayo said...

Terry Lyne Carrington is great! She is my favorite female drummer. I bought this album Kate Schutt's Telephone Game. Terri is on the album. She sounds great. If you like jazz/folk sound. I definitely recommend the album..