Sunday, April 20, 2008

Edward Hoagland

I don't read as much as I should, and one of the literary formats I tend to ignore is the essay. I'm up at our place at Tahoe this weekend, and I happened to notice that I had one of my favorite essay collections up here: "Tiges & Ice -- Reflections of Nature and Life" by Edward Hoagland.

All the the essays are worthy reads. One of my favorites, which I just reread with pleasure, is "Running Mates" dealing with the subject of friendship. Here is a wonderful excerpt from that essay:

Friendship can be exploitive and predatory, a strange symbiosis of quiet underwater carnage, though I've seldom seen one stay that way. Yet friends are partly for quarreling with. Most of us need to squabble occasionally in order to tap off our toxins, and friends permit us to without inflammatory consequences. We can be a trifle mean, or stumble into a brief tailspin, and be forgiven. Knowing our knotty nuttiness, our self-destructive lonely spells, they let us phone a bit too much and don't require us to specify just how tricky we feel. Friends are for jitters as well as barbecues.
Some other Hoagland quotes on a cool site I had not seen before.



All the best,

~ tom

1 comment:

Lally said...

Great post man, and here we are, friends for almost a half a century. Damn.