Monday, April 28, 2008

Reality brings incredible saddness

As readers of this blog are well aware, I am a fervent supporter of Barack Obama. I truly believe that unlike anyone else in the picture, he is a unique figure at this time in our history, who would bring healing, pride and even joy back to our nation. I viewed all the recent attacks on him as acceptable, though often loathsome, because his weathering them showed his viability.

But today, I find this in Dana Milbank's column in the Washington Post (and I found many other articles of similar tenor). I hope beyond hope that I am wrong, but I am coming to believe that the Rev. Wright has become a pair of cement shoes for Barack. Why can't the guy just shut up until after the election? I'd like to say things like, "Well the American people will sort this all out and end up voting for Obama," but I'm not able to now. These latest Wright comments (including a coy aside implying that Barack's criticisms of him are disingenuous), are going to be amplified and repeated again and again by Republican smear merchants in general election, with fatal results.

Please tell me I'm wrong! I'm totally depressed to the point at which I'm actually thinking it might be best after all for Hillary to be our candidate. The next four years of Supreme Court nominations is THE most important issue in the next elections, bar none -- trust me on this. Accordingly, it is absolutely imperative, ABSOLUTELY, that John McCain NOT become president. If Obama is going to lose because of this Wright shit sitting on top of all the other stuff, then maybe Hillary could win, in view of her already-vetted past, along with her bare-knuckles approach. Again, I need some bucking up here folks -- tell me that Barack is going to be my next President. His first Supreme Court pick: Hillary Clinton.

Bloody but not bowed,

Tom

No comments: