Thursday, February 27, 2014

"The Americans"



Of late there has been a huge buzz over the premier of the second season of "The Americans."  For example, it was listed number 1 in the "Must See" feature of Entertainment Weekly. I've read lots of reviews praising the show.  Plus, season 1 just went up on Amazon Prime streaming video, and is now just sitting there waiting for binge watching.

I must say that I was very reticent about getting into it because the subject matter (Russian spies in deep cover in the US) seemed like something I was not going to like.  A similar situation occurred a while back when "Big Love" came on HBO.  I thought, "no way I'm going to watch a show about a polygamist Mormon family living in Utah."  Of course I fended off that preconceived notion and began watching the show, which immediately had me "hook, line, and sinker" for every moment of every episode.

Well, with season one of "The Americans" coming on to Amazon Prime for free streaming, we decided to give it a go a couple of nights ago.  We watched episode 1 (the pilot) and were completely blown away.  We then watched the second episode and found it to be just as good.  Keri Russell, whom I've always dug immensely (Felicity, The Waitress), is simply mesmerizing and is definitely playing against type -- lots of very steamy stuff.  Matthew Rhys as her "husband" is equally compelling, and Eileen says he is "a hunk."  The writing is top-notch, and the production value very high. Also, capturing the early 80's with Reagan coming into power is a real trip. If you decide to check it out I guarantee that you will be on the edge of your seat and slightly breathless most of the time.

1 comment:

Lally said...

thanks for hipping me to this...I've had the same hesitation about it but now will give it a try...