Monday, April 15, 2013

“Perks of Being a Wallflower” and “Lincoln”

A few days ago I watched “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” on Blu-Ray on the recommendation of my son Jesse.  I enjoyed the movie and found it to be an unexpected little treasure.  You can read about it here.  I want to highlight the performance of Ezra Miller in the role of “Patrick.”  Patrick is in essence a teenage Oscar Wilde and thus it took a special actor to play the part.  Ezra Miller more than fills the role – he is mesmerizing.  Also, having not seen even one of the Harry Potter movies, I was introduced to Emma Watson, who, at least in this film, was wonderful.  Check it out.

Last night I watched “Lincoln” on Blu-Ray and was mildly disappointed.  I guess my hopes were unrealistic, but I don’t find it to be a “great” or “classic” film.  Sure, Daniel-Day was his usual awesome self, but I kept thinking, “haven’t I seen this on the History Channel?”  Sometimes Spielberg’s sincerity and love of the subject make the result seem over-simplified and a bit patronizing.  (Same goes for Spike Lee).  Oh well, as they say, “different strokes for different folks.

1 comment:

Lally said...

Still haven't seen "Perks" but intend to, but for me Day-Lewis as Lincoln is one of the all time towering performances by any actor in any movie any time. But I agree with your point about Spielberg, though it didn't bother me as much as you in this one.