Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Star Wars ...

Finally got around to seeing Star Wars weekend before last.  It was very watchable and I had a good time.  However, I have a couple of observations:

1.  Am I the only one who is getting tired of John Williams?  About half way through the movie the score began to irritate me.  It was ever-present, bombastic,  and self-derivative.  I realize that the film- makers had to incorporate the beloved theme music to some extent, but come on!

2.  There was far less dialog and character development than I expected there would be, especially with J.J. Abrams in the director's chair.  Compare his reboot of the Star Trek franchise with the new Star Wars and if you are honest with yourself you will realize that J.J.'s Star Trek is a better film.  This is the case because of the wonderful dialog and character development in the Star Trek reboot.  I've seen the Star Trek film three times and loved it all three.  The score by Michael Giacchino is a refreshing departure from the heavy hand of John Williams.  Check it out and you will see what I mean.

p.s. By the way, I agree with the general consensus, including J.J.  himself, that his following up, "Star Trek -- Into Darkness" was a disappointment.


No comments: