Monday, August 4, 2014

I've checked out...



Here are the final two paragraphs of E.J. Dionne's column in today's WaPo:
Pelosi, for her part, went out of her way to praise “the Grand Old Party that did so much and has done so much for our country.” Commending the opposing party is not an election year habit, but her point was to underscore that Republicans had been “hijacked” by a “radical right wing” that is not simply “anti-government” but also “anti-governance.”
On balance, Washington gridlock has hurt Democrats more than Republicans by dispiriting moderate and progressive constituencies that had hoped Obama could usher in an era of reform. The key to the election will be whether Democrats can persuade these voters that the radical right is the real culprit in their disappointment — and get them to act accordingly on Election Day.
The second paragraph made me realize that I have fallen among the dispirited "moderate and progressive constituencies that hoped Obama could usher in an era of reform."  I rarely listen to the MSNBC shows any longer and I have given up political pod casts for pod casts aimed at the arts and sports.  I fall asleep each night listening to sports talk shows and spend a lot of time reading books on all subjects, EXCEPT current politics.  Guess what?  I feel a whole lot better.  Ain't nuthin' I can do about the FUBAR state of our government, so I'm going to avoid being "dispirited" by not paying very much attention to the stuff that makes me crazy-depressed.  This will probably change when the 2016 presidential election gets underway, but until then, consider me gone.  And, go Giants, 49ers, Warriors, and US women's World Cup soccer team (women's World Cup is in Canada next summer!).  
 

3 comments:

JIm said...

I felt the same way when Obama got reelected and terribly discouraged that Americans could be so stupid as to reelect the first anti-American president in our history, who has presided over the weakest economic recovery since ww2 and who has managed to alienate our foreign friends and encourage our enemies. I determined after a period of mourning that Barack Obama would not ruin a day in my life and I am encouraged to see that he and his ideology is likely to get shellacked come November.

stallion said...

This Jim guy is not in touch with reality. He's an ideologue.

JIm said...

Stallion, anyone who could vote for Obama twice would have to be at least an ideologue or at best to be an enemy of America's well being.