Monday, May 27, 2013

Mick LaSalle wisdom

If you read this blog you know that Mick LaSalle is my favorite living film critic.  Just search this blog for LaSalle and you’ll see a lot of references to him.

In his “Ask Mick LaSalle” column yesterday he was discussing the Gatsby world in response to a question about who he would cast as Daisy Buchanan.  Near the end of his answer he came up with this gem:

“By the way, youth is very important for these Fitzgerald characters because, though the point of view is nostalgic, it’s the nostalgia of youth for youth.  I don’t think I was ever for nostalgic for my early 20s than when I was in my late 20s, because when you’re 21, you are basically king.  You have mastered the art of being a kid, and now you rule the youth universe.  But when you are 28, you’re like a really beautiful-looking 50-year-old, only with no money, no respect, no experience and no professional poise, and even if you’re good at something, there are a bunch of older people trying to block your path.  By the time you’re 35, you’re in a different zone – beyond nostalgia and into the next phase; that is, outside the “Gatsby” zone.”