Sunday, February 6, 2011

A Wonderful Day

The weather here today was unseasonably warm (it got up to 80!) and clear as could be. I took a walk out on the San Francisco bay (a block from our house) with my camera. I thought I would share the results with you.

DSC01159

First I encountered a group of American Coots (no not Walter Brennen) who were enjoying the day as much as I.

DSC01166

Then I had to stop and take a look at the City across the bay, with the suspension portion of the Bay Bridge on prominent display.

DSC01197

Further along a large flock of Plovers were taking off and flying in formation, only to fly back and land at the shore and then to take off again to zip around over the water. It’s really awesome to see them all fly as one, and they really do haul ass. This photo was shot at 1/400 of a second and they are still blurring.

DSC01214

Our friend the Snowy Egret was splendid.

DSC01223

And walking back home is almost as rewarding. That draw bridge is the Bay Farm Bridge (we live on Bay Farm Island) and if you blow it up a bit you should be able to see the light standards at the Oakland coliseum where the Raiders play, and where U-2 will play in June (we already have our tickets).

Yep, life can sure be wonderful.

2 comments:

Lally said...

I'm happy for you brother. A lovely place to live, and thanks for sharing it. It's been above freezing here for a few days so the snow's been melting, but it's still above my knees! (It was up to my hip.)

Jesse Wilson said...

Dad- these shots look great! Are these with the DSLR? I have been starting to do a little research and have been thinking about picking one up. I went on a hike to Point Reyes and my point and shoot didn't quite deliver the kind of shots I wanted. What kind do you have? I was reading in Cnet that the Canon T2i is a good entry level one.