Monday, November 15, 2010

Never pass up a Miles article…

Probably the one universal, unifying figure shared by me and all my friends, and even extending out to “good acquaintances,” is Miles Davis.  I could just go on, and on, and on, and on, and on about how Miles and his music guided my life and my love of life.  (Notice how I used the term “guided” rather than something like “influenced.”)  My early age 15-18 year old LP collection was a quarter Miles for sure.  It would have been a higher percentage, but there were only so many Miles platters I could find and/or afford.  Mind you, you had to make room for a lot of Ray Charles, Trane, Bill Evans, and the like.

So, I stumbled across this great Miles article moments ago, which I just had to share with you all immediately.  I usually don’t use this blog to refer to articles any longer than a screen page in length.  However, this one deserves reading.   There are so many great observations about Miles in the article that I can’t take the time to list them all.  That is why you need to read it.

But as teasers try these: 

Kind of Blue “is the most singular of sounds, yet among the most ubiquitous. It is the sound of isolation that has sold itself to millions,” says Richard Williams in his recent study The Blue Moment.

The pianist Keith Jarrett once observed: “I think that Miles would have preferred to have a bad group playing bad music rather than to play as he did before.”

Tom says check it out.

1 comment:

Lally said...

Hey man, thanks for turning me on to this. I finally got the chance to read it. Wish I was in Paris.