Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Jesse Winchester - “If Only”

Okay, you all know that I have a very special place in my heart for Jesse Winchester.  (See my previous post on the subject.)
About a week ago I had the rare privilege of seeing Jesse at the “Freight and Salvage” in Berkeley, with several hundred devoted fans.  As in the past when I have seen him live it was just he and his guitar, and two sets worth of wonderful songs.  We all pretty much  knew every note of every tune and every word of every song, but there was one song in the second set that I had never heard before and it so moved me I got a bit teary-eyed.  The tune is “If Only.”  I found it in a live album of Jesse’s and duly paid Rhapsody for the download.  I love this song.  It is so great to hear it as a live performance, just as I heard it a few days ago.  It is pure Jesse.
So take the time to enjoy it yourself.
~  Tom

No comments: