Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A delicious envy

I just finished watching the final episode of season 7 of “MI-5.” This series is by far the best spy genre programming that exists in today’s TV milieu. It is a British production, which goes under the title “Spooks” in its original incarnation. I HIGHLY recommend it to everyone. Start with season one and go from there. The series has so many jaw-dropping moments I could not even begin to chronicle them. And, you have to be on your toes for every moment of dialog lest you miss a crucial fact or clue. The cast has been top-notch over all 7 years.

The point of my title to this post is that whenever I find a great TV series to recommend to my friends, I have this sense of very strong sense of envy, thinking of them getting to see it for the first time, unknown and pristine. I truly do envy them because I know that as much as I love each series, it would never be as good as the first time even if I chose to re-watch it.

By the way, this motif works best with TV series as opposed to one-off movies. Think of it as an intense affair of the heart as opposed to a one-night-stand.

Other series that make me have the same feeling of delicious envy when I recommend them:

Deadwood – Six Feet Under – Sopranos – Queer as Folk (US/Canadian version) - Rescue Me – The Shield –The Westwing - I, Claudius - Elizabeth R. (Glenda Jackson rules!) - Brideshead Revisited (the BBC series with Jeremy Irons, not the recent movie) – Battlestar Galactica (new funky version, which is fracking great) - Friday Night Lights (a true sleeper)

Watch on brothers and sisters,

~Tom

No comments: