Sunday, July 19, 2009

Nothing But the Truth

Last night I watched “Nothing But the Truth” on DVD.  I enjoyed it much more than I had anticipated.  It is an above-average political thriller, which is enhanced by its obvious parallels to the outing of Valerie Plame as a CIA agent in the “real world.”

The cast is outstanding, with Kate Beckinsale playing the lead as a reporter who refuses to give up her source and ends up going to jail and suffering terrible collateral losses as a result.  Vera Farmiga (one of my favorite underrated actors) is terrific as the outed agent.  A big surprise was Matt Dillon, who plays the heartless special prosecutor – he just keeps getting better and more credible as he ages.  Also turning in fine performances were Alan Alda as the famous civil rights lawyer, Angela Bassett as the editor, and Noah Wyle as the attorney for the newspaper.

The script is excellent, and does not contain the “holes” that some political thriller’s have – everything seems perfectly believable. 

A very nice DVD rental for sure.  I recommend it. 

~  Tom

1 comment:

Lally said...

Thanks for hipping me to this. I'll check it out.