Friday, October 3, 2008

Kudos for Joe

Today, all the talk, and all the blogs, center on Palin's "performance" last night. As a truly life-long Democrat (when I was a young boy my Dad taught me about Hubert Humphrey's stand at the 1948 convention) I just want to say how proud I was of Joe Biden. He handled himself perfectly, and when he almost broke down in speaking of the travails of single father's I misted up big time because, unlike Palin's rehearsed, non responsive diatribe, I knew there was no way Joe was faking his true feelings. I'm so grateful that he is on the ticket, and I will be proud to call him my Vice President when he and Barack are elected.

For those of you who only remember Hubert Humphrey for his dubious stint as LBJ's VP, here is why he was my Dad's hero:
Despite aggressive pressure by Truman's aides to avoid forcing the issue on the Convention floor, Humphrey chose to speak on behalf of the minority plank. In a renowned speech, Humphrey passionately told the Convention, "To those who say, my friends, to those who say, that we are rushing this issue of civil rights, I say to them we are 172 years too late! To those who say, this civil rights program is an infringement on states' rights, I say this: the time has arrived in America for the Democratic Party to get out of the shadow of states' rights and walk forthrightly into the bright sunshine of human rights!" Humphrey and his allies succeeded; the pro-civil-rights plank was narrowly adopted. [From this Wikipedia entry]
Joe reminds me a lot of that Hubert Humphrey, which in turn reminds me of my late father, which is always good thing.

1 comment:

Lally said...

I totally agree man. I have a good friend who comes from Deleware and has countless stories about people being in deep trouble and Biden coming to their rescue without any publicity or anyone other than the people and their families ever knowing what he did. He's an honorable man. And he knows more about foreign policy than McPalin ever will.