Friday, May 23, 2008

War, Inc. - a shameless plug

I was listening to the Thom Hartman show this morning. Thom had one of my favorite actors on as a guest: John Cusack. I could go on and on about Cusack. He is one of the few actors for whom I will watch a film solely because he is in it -- "The Grifters," "Grosse Pointe Blank," or "High Fidelity" being some of my favorites. (As I commented to Eileen as we left the theater after seeing "High Fidelity," it was as if these guys had lovingly made the film just for me - still one of my favorite movies of all time).

Anyway, as I found out only today, Cusack has a new movie coming out today: "War, Inc." Hartman (whose opinion I totally respect), was raving about it, saying it was not only a powerful indictment against the Iraq war and corporatization of America, but also an absolutely hilarious and brilliant satire on the whole issue. Not surprisingly, in surfing around to get the link on the trailer for this post, I found lots of MSM sources saying things like "limping into New York" and the like. Cusack spent a lot of time on the Hartman show explaining how difficult is has been for him to get theater bookings because corporate Amerika is not looking kindly on his effort.

The film is only opening in LA and NYC this weekend, so Cusack was urging people in those cities to get out and see it. If they get good numbers in those cities they will get a larger theater release -- otherwise, you'll have to wait for the DVD. So, for those of my readers who are in LA or NYC, get off your asses and seek out "War, Inc." To spur you along, here is the trailer.

1 comment:

-K- said...

I'm kind of surprised it got financed.

It also occurs to me that it's been a long time since I've seen Dan Ackroyd attached to anything that isn't hackwork.