Monday, May 19, 2008

A Byrd soars....

I just heard that Robert Byrd, a powerful super delegate, has endorsed Obama. This got me thinking about the man's long life, including his youthful years when he embraced the Ku Klux Klan. That brought me back to one of Lenny Bruce's great riffs where he slips into the skin of a KKK used car salesman, who confesses that he has no beef with "Negroes" but needed to sell some cars to people who had the money to buy them. Unforgiving liberals: Don't forget that the exact same motivation, in one way or another, prompted young folks to join the Communist party!

My point is that Robert Byrd experienced a true reformation, which has made him one of my few living heroes. He opposed the Iraq war tooth-and-nail at every juncture, which is one of the main reasons he has today endorsed Obama. Please take the time to read his Senate speech opposing the war, BEFORE THE COWARDLY CONGRESS BENT TO THE WILL OF EVIL.

~ tom

No comments: