Sunday, February 28, 2016

YFT - The Honeymooners stand the test of time

When I was a boy of 12 one of my favorite TV shows was "The Honeymooners."  It came at a time when I was first developing my "adult" sense of humor.  I got to thinking about the show a couple of days ago and wondered if some of the episodes were available on YouTube.  Much to my surprise and joy,  pretty much all of the episodes are available.  I have a specific recollection of some of those episodes, which stick in my mind and make me chuckle as I remember them from time to time.  One of those was the hilarious "The $99,000 Answer," which aired in 1956.  I just watched it for the first time in who knows how long, and it filled me with unqualified nostalgia and mirth. Needless to say I was laughing out loud most of the time.  I won't ruin it for you by revealing any of the plot, but the episode gives us Gleason and Carney at their absolute best, with Audrey Meadows contributing her usual offering of rational thought and reality.  The payoff at the end is classic Gleason.  I urge you to take 25 minutes of your time and watch this little masterpiece right here.

No comments: