Tuesday, January 29, 2013

How I discovered U2

I am a big fan of U2.  I have seen them live twice, once in the late 80’s at the Cow Palace in San Francisco, and most recently at the Oakland Coliseum on their last tour.  Both concerts were terrific.  In both instances the crowds were all tuned in on the same frequency, resulting in that indescribable “vibe” that you experience at a memorable live concert.

Todayfor some reason I was remembering how I discovered U2 and began my fandom.  It was seeing their live  performance of “Bad” on my TV as part of the Live Aid concert in 1985.  I had never seen or heard them before that, and the performance really knocked me out, including Bono randomly picking out girls from the audience and slow dancing with them.  After that I went out and bought “The Unforgettable Fire,” which remains one of my favorite albums.

So, with these thoughts I went to You Tube to see if there were videos of that 1985 U2 performance.  I should have known, there are lots of video of that performance.  I chose one with good quality video and sound.  Check it out here, just as I watched it all these years ago.  It helps to pretend that you have never seen these guys before or heard their music, but any way you slice it, I still dig it.

2 comments:

Lally said...

oh man, thank you so much for that link...mesmerizing, despite the mullet, what a tight ass little unit these boys were and are

Jesse Wilson said...

Love that song! I totally remember watching Live Aid in the living room.