Monday, November 26, 2012

Roger Deakins deserves an Oscar

Hi everybody.  I haven’t posted for a while just because I got busy with the Thanksgiving holiday, and really had nothing to say.

Yesterday we got around to seeing “Skyfall,” the new James Bond movie.  I loved it.  There are many reasons why, all of which have been thoroughly discussed in other reviews:  terrific acting given full reign, a script that was actually easy to follow yet full of suspense and surprises, awesome action set pieces, a fine opening “Bond song” written and performed by Adele, a delicious villain, and sure handed direction by Sam Mendes.  But what I want to single out is the gorgeous, artful cinematography provided by Roger Deakins. 

Before seeing the film read a lot of reviews, many of which praised Deakins’ work in “Skyfall.”  Also the guys on “Film Junk,” the weekly pod cast I listen to, raved about the cinematography and noted that while Deakins has been nominated for the Oscar many times, he has yet to win it.  They are hoping that he will win this year for “Skyfall.”  You can read about Deakins here, including his extensive work with the Coen brothers and Sam Mendes.  Suffice it to say that his filmography is impressive.

So,  as I watched the film yesterday, I made it a point to pay specific attention to the cinematography, which I can’t ever recall doing on a first-watch of a film.  The cinematography is  indeed a masterful effort by Deakins, running the gamut from large scale overhead city shots (day and night), to perfectly composed interior shots, amazing action set pieces, and best of all, gorgeous landscape vista compositions. 

I don’t know about you, but I’m going to be rooting for Roger to win the Oscar next year.  And, I am going to pay close attention to his work, past and future.

~ Tom

1 comment:

Lally said...

Good point man. I didn't consciously think about it while I watched it but you're right.