Friday, September 21, 2012

I can’t suppress my worry

Damn.  Just when I was starting to really feel good about the upcoming election, I ran across this sobering article by the savvy Elizabeth Drew.   I’ve made many posts on this blog wherein I  worry about voter suppression.  I guess I gotta keep worrying.  Here is one little excerpt from the article that really scares me:

In a close election, the Republican plan could call into question the legitimacy of the next president. An election conducted on this basis could lead to turbulence on election day and possibly an extended period of lawsuits contesting the outcome in various states. Bush v. Gore would seem to have been a pleasant summer afternoon. The fact that their party’s nominee is currently stumbling about, his candidacy widely deemed to be in crisis mode, hasn’t lessened their determination to prevent as many Democratic supporters as they can from voting in November.

1 comment:

Lally said...

I've been worrying about that same scenario brother. I just hope this time the Dems are ready with not just the legal guns but the crowds to demonstrate ala the Republican minions who forced their way into the vote counting place in Florida fooling the media and others into thinking they were a "spontaneous mob" rather than well organized functionaries of the Republican machine.