Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Donna Summer on Fresh Air

Of course I have been reading tributes and blog posts concerning the passing of Donna Summer.  These tributes and posts were all in accord in noting what a great talent she was, and how, at her zenith, she influenced pop music and culture .  A lot of the personal posts went further, noting that as one put it, “She was the soundtrack of a good part of the '70s for me, and a lot of people.”
I felt the same way upon first hearing of her death.  But it wasn’t until today when I listened to the Fresh Air podcast tribute that it really came home to me.  The podcast re-airs Terry Gross interviewing Donna in the early 2000’s, and it is a killer.  I just fell in love with Donna, listening to her talk and digging her grace, charm, and humor.  That made me all the more sad each time Terry would play an excerpt from one of Donna’s hits –dam, she’s gone forever.  If you were a fan even in the slightest you really should hear this interview.  Check it out here.
~ Tom

1 comment:

Lally said...

Thanks for hipping us to this Tom.