Thursday, February 9, 2012

Bill Cunningham New York

I have been trying to watch more film documentaries these days.  Netflix streaming video has a lot of them.  I particularly enjoy finding ones that feature people and/or places I have never heard of and know nothing about.  Most recently I watched “Bill Cunningham New York,” which really delighted me.  I knew nothing of Cunningham until I watched the film.  As a photographer, I was very tuned into the whole thing, and the panoply of colorful New Yorkers turning up here and there was loads of fun.  I enjoyed it all, but there was one thing that stood out for me that most people probably did even think was out of the ordinary: Bill Cunningham still only shoots real film!  No digital cameras for this guy.

I agree with Roger Ebert, who said: "This movie made me happy every moment I was watching it." 

Bill Cunningham New York trailer

p.s.  When you are watching something made a year ago about an 80 year old guy, you wonder if he is still alive now.  I am happy to report that Wikipedia says he is still around.  Cool.

2 comments:

Lally said...

Tom, I've been digging his street fashion photo feature in the NY Times for decades, and dug the documentary. The perfect example of someone who found a way of making a living doing something he dug and turned it into more than work or even art, but an entirely original life.

Antonella said...

It's just too bad that in order to stay a nice, fun, happy, sweet person who enjoys his or her work, you have to work for free.
It seems competition and the need to be recognized and make tons of money makes people into selfish, mean bastards.