Monday, December 7, 2009

“Easy Virtue” – A pleasant surprise

Based on favorable reviews, I obtained “Easy Virtue” from Netflix and gave it a whirl last night.

At first I didn’t think I was going to like it that much, but after 10 minutes or so my ear got tuned to the English accents and the plot kicked into place. 

This is an adaptation of a Noel Coward work, and it really delivers as it moves along.  Huge kudos to the main players:  Kristin Scott Thomas as the mother whose high standards are never met, a radiant and quite sexy Jessica Biel as the protagonist interloper new daughter in law, Colin Firth as the WWI damaged father with an understanding heart, and  Ben Barnes as the naive and ultimately shallow son.

I am not that familiar with Jessica Biel, but she really is great in this role. 

The movie is absolutely hilarious in some parts (see the Can Can scene for sure) and yet has a tough sweetness about it.  Trust me on this one.  Just make sure you hang in for the first 10 minutes and you should be fine after that.

~  Ciao, Tom

3 comments:

rakeback said...

Jessica Biel is not only gorgeous, but also a very talented actress. I think people get too hung up on her looks and overlook her acting ability. I think she will be relevant for quite some time!

Lally said...

I'll have to check this out when I'm up to it.

AlamedaTom said...

Lal, it is so wonderful to see that you are able to respond to my humble offerings. Keep getting stronger bro.

And rakeback, I cold not agree more.