Sunday, August 2, 2009

Nature rules

I am up at our place at Tahoe/Donner this weekend. On Friday, while taking the dog for a walk in the woods right behind our place, I noticed that one of the big pine trees had a big piece torn out of it, with other lacerations below that down the trunk. There were also pieces of the tree strewn below and a large piece hanging in an adjacent tree. I couldn’t figure out what happened.

On Saturday I was speaking with our neighbor, Norm, who lives up here full-time. His place is even closer to the tree than ours (only about 50 feet or so). He told me that about a week ago there had been a huge thunder storm right over our houses, and that lightning was striking in bolts in the darkness. He was in his house and saw a huge bolt strike the tree of which I am speaking in this post. He said the whole thing really humbled him. I went out this morning and took some pictures. Double-click on the image to enlarge it.

DSC01600

This is a close-up of the tree. You can see a large chunk of it hanging in the two trees to the right of the victim.

DSC01597

A long shot. Norms place is out of the picture just to the right. Another neighbor’s place is in the right foreground.

The moral? Don’t ever take nature for granted.

No comments: