Thursday, May 7, 2009

Wordle

My sister-in-law Gretchen is on a roll. After turning me on to the great "Stand by Me" video, she told me about Wordle. Here is what is does.

Wordle is a toy for generating “word clouds” from text that you provide. The clouds give greater prominence to words that appear more frequently in the source text. You can tweak your clouds with different fonts, layouts, and color schemes. The images you create with Wordle are yours to use however you like. You can print them out, or save them to the Wordle gallery to share with your friends.


I tried it out by dumping in all portions of Michael Lally's South Orange Sonnets quoted from this site, and came up with this (double click to blow it up):

Wordle is lots of fun, but I also think it can produce some pretty interesting "art." You can change the fonts, color scheme, shape of the whole "cloud" and of course the text that you enter.

Try it.

~ tom






1 comment:

Lally said...

Man, it's getting curiouser and curiouser out there, I mean in here.