Saturday, September 15, 2007

Paul McCartney's latest...

I just finished a first-listen to Paul McCartney's new album, "Memory Almost Full." I had read many laudatory reviews, but I was prepared to be let down. To the contrary, this is certainly the best album Paul has made, sans the Beatles. Here is a review that says exactly what I would have to say on the subject.

The review is spot on about Paul's ruminations on his mortality and that of others. Here are the lyrics for the last track on the album "The End of the End." I'm sorry you can't hear the wonderful tune that Paul wrote for this, but "stories of old to be rode on like carpets that children have played on" should give you an idea of just how good it is.

At the end of the end
It's the start of the journey
To a much better place, and this wasn't bad
So a much better place would have to be special
No need to be sad

On the day that I die
I'd like jokes to be told
And stories of old to be rode on like carpets
That children have played on
And laid on while listening to stories of old

At the end of the end
It's the start of the journey
To a much better place, and this wasn't bad
So a much better place would have to be special
No reason to cry

On the day that I die
I'd like bells to be rung
And songs that were sung to be laid out like blankets
That lovers have played on and laid on
While listening to songs that were sung

At the end of the end
It's the start of the journey
To a much better place,
And a much better place would have to be special
No reason to cry
No need to be sad
At the end of the end
The other tracks are all terrific too. Wonderful song writing, super arrangements, kick-ass musicians and singers, and flawless engineering. Oh, and did I say that Paul's singing hasn't lost anything.

Tom gives this one a big thumbs up.

2 comments:

Lally said...

I've heard nothing but good things about this CD, but it took your recommendation to get me to go get it. Thanks bro.

Ignacio Mancini said...

Excellent song and album. No better than Chaos and Creation in the Backyard, which is probably the best Paul has made in his whole solo career, but still a great work.