Monday, September 10, 2007

Pat Buchanan on invading Iran

I've been into politics all my life. My late father followed politics avidly until his death in 2000 at age 80. One guy that he and I both liked, even though we disagreed with way more than half of what he espouses, is Pat Buchanan. We respected him because he is smart, loyal, and consistent in his beliefs, not to mention being a true fighting Irish Catholic. Dad was not Catholic, but I think he had a true respect for Catholics who "walked the walk" rather than just "talking the talk."

Anyway, I was watching last Friday's McLaughlin Group, (which I had TIVO'd), a show that Dad and I often watched together. Pat is a regular on that show. Pat pointed out that after the Petraeus testimony, the Democrats are not going to be able to do anything to really stop Bush and the neocons. Next, he predicted that near the end of the month, they will begin a huge push to attack Iran. You may not know or remember that Pat was one of the most vocal critics of the Iraq war, so his prediction on Iran was not coming from joy and support, but was coming out of true fear and concern that Bush, Cheney and the neocons are bound and determined to mix it up militarily with Iran while they still have the chance.

Coming from Buchanan, this is really scary. I truly believe that he knows what he is talking about. Eleanor Clift pretty much agreed with Pat, but pointed out that Bush would need a separate approval from Congress to do it. Pat countered by saying he did not believe that Bush believed he was constrained. Eleanor replied by noting that if Bush and his neocon hoard were stupid enough to bomb or invade Iran, impeachment was sure to follow. Pat was not given time to respond, but I could tell from the look on his face that he sincerely believes that these bozo's are going to have their way come hell or high water.

It could be that Pat is trying to prevent a move against Iran by firmly predicting it's going to happen, which of course sends guys like me into a frenzy. I'm really hoping that's his angle here.

~ tom

No comments: