Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Bobby Hutcherson R.I.P.

I saw Bobby many times and was never disappointed.  The cat was always on top of things, whether headlining on his own or as part of another headliner's group.  And then of course there is the fact that I am very partial to vibes as a jazz instrument.  I don't think Bobby would mind if I said that Milt Jackson remains my favorite vibe man (he died in 1999), 'cause Bobby pretty much said that same thing.  Here is something proving my point, from today's obit in the SF Chronicle:

"The way Milt played made me feel like I had money in my pocket," Mr. Hutcherson recalled in 2012. "It was so satisfying and warm and round.  I'd heard Lionel Hampton and Red Norvo before, but Milt really spoke to me.  He played those long lines, and it was very soulful, very talking-to-you.  I thought I could duplicate that.  It took me a long time to realize those are Milt's cookies, leave 'em alone."



But Bobby is no doubt my number two guy on the vibes.  Gonna miss him.

No comments: