Saturday, May 9, 2015

One "Secretary" = Fifty Shades of Grey

I have not seen Fifty Shades of Grey and probably never will.  I have, however, read a few reviews of the film and the consensus is not favorable.  Oddly, two or three reviewers noted that the erotic scenes were surprisingly tame and thus a disappointment when compared to the film "Secretary," which stars Maggie Gyllenhaal and James Spader.


Eileen and I watched "Secretary" last night and really enjoyed it.  It was made 13 years ago, so Spader and Gyllenhaal look much younger than they do today.  They are both terrific in their respective roles, but Maggie's performance is on some sort of higher plain.  What she is able to do with her facial expressions is awesome, perhaps even better than Claire Danes in "Homeland."  I highly recommend "Secretary" for its unabashed kinky-ness, but even more for the script and the performances that bring the script to life.

1 comment:

L. Weiler said...

Nice review. Been meaning to see this, and am moving this up on my list, as I always admire your good taste in movies!
By comparison, have you seen Venus in Furs?