Saturday, January 3, 2015

Ear Worm musings

You may have noticed that about a month ago I added a new feature to this blog, which shows my current ear worm (lower right corner.)  Today it changed from Eminem's "Stan" (the chorus) to Dylan's "Tambourine Man."  Like any true ear worm it came upon me unbidden this morning whilst I was walking my dog. In particular the phrase "far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow" powerfully spun in a loop for a long time.  Putting that in context with the rest of the tune shows the derivation of its strong influence on the subconscious.  It appears in the final verse of the song.  These lyrics are the work of a genius, and as you read them and hear Dylan singing them in your head, I'd venture to say that "far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow" might well be the apex for you, as it its for me.

Then take me disappearin' through the smoke rings of my mind
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves
The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
Let me forget about today until tomorrow
Hey, Mr. Tambourine Man, play a song for me
I'm not sleepy and there is no place I'm going to
Hey, Mr. Tambourine Man, play a song for me
In the jingle jangle morning, I'll come followin' you

2 comments:

L. Weiler said...

When I think of this gem of a song I always return to the image evoked by the first lines of the second verse
... to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands...

Brings tears to my eyes

Lally said...

definitely