Tuesday, October 23, 2012

“Nashville”–I’m hooked

Just a note to admit to the world that I am totally hooked by the new ABC show “Nashville.”  It is ostensibly about the country music world but it’s much more than that.  Connie Britton (Friday Night Lights) is the main lead, and I have always loved her.  As always her acting is superb, but it turns out that she is also doing her own singing, as are all the other main cast members.  Sure, it’s a bit of a soap opera, but that just makes it more delicious for me.  And the great Powers Booth (Deadwood) is in his usual heavy role which is the icing on the cake.  The producers are really smart in that the music has a lot of cross-over content but even the “country” songs are so well written and performed that I dig it all. 

In the last episode there was scene that was so good I ran it back on my DVR and played it two more times.  The scene was in the local club where Connie Britton (now married) sings a duet with her old flame who plays guitar with the house band behind him and Connie.  There are two sub-plots driven by certain characters in the audience watching Connie and her ex  interact and those sub-plots are so subtly yet beautifully advanced that it is impossible for me to explain – you have to see it yourself. But on top of all this is that the song they sing is simply a great song, specially written for the show.  Here is a link to song they sing.  Obviously, it’s about 10 times better if you see it being sung in the actual scene, but I still think it’s a pretty gorgeous song.

There has only been the pilot and second show, so you should be able to catch up pretty easily.  If you’ve got some time and a spirit of adventure, give it a look.

No comments: