Thursday, April 5, 2012

Voter suppression–still worried

I’ve been sidelined the last couple of days with a case of the flu, even though I had a flu shot a while back.  I guess this particular strain slipped under the radar.  So I’ve been watching a lot of MSNBC and Current TV.  I hear about the 18 point gender gap, and Joe Scarbough announcing that no one in the Republican establishment thinks Romney will win, and I feel really good.  But then I can’t help but wonder how the other side is going to get around all this.  I keep coming back to the same fear:  voter suppression. 

I can’t take the time to list all of the new laws that have been passed requiring photo ID, and other draconian requirements.  Some go even further like in Florida where they are requiring that people doing voter registration must file the documents within 48 hours or face a $10,000 fine.  This prompted the League of Women Voters and other such voter registration organizations to cease all activity.  I keep picturing an election day where hundreds of minorities and women are turned away.  That could get real ugly!

Thus, what I think should happen right away is for the democratic party to spend a lot of money and time assisting voters to obtain whatever documents they will need to register and get them registered.  What is forgotten is that there will be a good number of people on the Republican side who don’t have the proper documents and will not take proper measures to get them.  If our side can make sure our people are able to get the required documents and then register, maybe we can reduce the damage that will be inflicted by these Jim Crow laws.  Of course the Justice Department should attempt to get the laws thrown out, but short of success in that area, getting people registered and out to vote is essential.

2 comments:

Lally said...

well put brother

JIm said...

Tom, How did you enjoy the video of a white man registering to vote in Eric Holder's district as Eric Holder. Do you still think there is not extensive fraud?