Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Paul Motian–R.I.P.

I just got the news that Paul Motian died yesterday in Manhattan.  In my mind he was one of the greatest jazz drummers ever.  I first became aware of him when I was still in high school and getting into jazz.  My favorite album at that time was the Bill Evans Trio’s “Waltz for Debby.”  Paul was a founding member of that spectacular amalgam, with Bill on piano and an amazing young Scott LaFaro on bass.  I literally wore that album out, having to buy a replacement copy somewhere down the line.  As I write this I am listening to that group, just honor Paul.  I’m blessed to have the exquisite boxed set of the complete Riverside recordings by Bill. (12 discs!)

I saw Paul a few times over the years with different groups.  He was always so clean and precise, yet swinging the whole time.  To this day I can’t think of any drummer who is better on the brushes than Paul was.  His brush work was especially wonderful on the work he did with the Bill Evans Trio. 

Dang, I’m really sad to see him go.

~ Tom

1 comment:

Lally said...

hey man, was away for the holidays and didn't see your post on this until after I did my own, coming the the same place (and time for that matter). You added what I should have though, that he was the best at brushwork. Totally. Thank God he lived a good long productive life, may we do the same.