Monday, October 3, 2011

The Lincoln Lawyer

Over the weekend I watched the Blu-ray version of “The Lincoln Lawyer,” starring Matthew McConaughey, Ryan Philippe, Marisa Tomei, William H. Macy, Michael Pena, John Leguizamo and Josh Lucas. I had read the book a while back an enjoyed it quite a bit, so I was reticent about checking out the movie. My fears were ungrounded. Actually, I think I like the movie better than the book.

Because the plot is full of twists, shocks, and surprises I will only say that the film worked for me on every level. I thought it was well directed, giving off a real “Los Angeles vibe” that was essential. I like McConaughey, but feel like he has been miscast in a lot of his movies. Here, he is absolutely perfect to the point of me thinking at the end, “no one else could have played that part as well as he did.” The script is snappy and smart, but serious and weighty when it needs to be.

In short, I really had a good time with the film, and I’ll bet you will too. So, next weekend, rent the DVD (Blu-ray if you’ve got a player), pop up a batch of popcorn, grab a Coke, plop down on your couch, and have a fun evening. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

~ Tom

*****************************

"A narcissist is someone better looking than you are."

Gore Vidal

1 comment:

Lally said...

thanks for the recommendation brother, I'll have to check it out.