Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Some killer B&W photographs

I think I mentioned my photography background in a previous post.  Thus, suffice it to say that I know a little about the subject, especially shooting in black and white, developing negatives, and making prints in a good darkroom.  It goes without saying that I am always interested in new photos in the black and white milieu.   This morning I was surfing around and found this collection of 17 photos by Juha Arvid Helminen. 

This work blew me away.  First, the set pieces and costumes are insanely arresting, but the photography is truly inspired (and inspiring!).  Look at the use of light and shadow and appreciate how the blacks seem even deeper than they are.  Then pay attention to the textures of various materials and objects.  Every one of the photos is a masterpiece, but I keep coming back to “Faith II” – it is so simple but oh so complicated.  Great stuff.

~ Tom

No comments: