Sunday, February 28, 2010

Avatar - thoughts

Well, I finally got around to seeing Avatar, 3-D version. My first time seeing any 3-D movie.

Special effects and CGI: The best I’ve ever seen.

Alternate universe and lore: Impressive.

Sound: Hats off to Dolby for a soundtrack that was crystal-clear with no muddying even in the most saturated moments.

Script and story: Dances With Aliens.

Battles and chases: Perfect if you are a “battle/chase” devotee, too long if you are into plot and story.

Creatures: Australia times fifty.

Villain: Outstanding! Stephen Lang was awesome.

3-D: I was very disappointed. The effect was not that impressive and sometimes made me think I was back in second grade looking into my ViewMaster. But the worst aspect was that the glasses really darken the raw image. I kept wanting more light -- it was sort of like wearing your shades in a bar. I know it was not the raw image because when I took the glasses off the light balance was just perfect. The glasses were the official Dolby 3-D glasses so obviously the theater wasn’t handing out a fly-by-night product. I guess it’s an acquired taste but I gonna stick with good old two dimensions in the future. (I never could wear my shades in a bar).

Still, big kudos to Cameron for taking a monumental risk and pulling it off.

~ Tom

2 comments:

Jesse Wilson said...

Nice review Dad - we are working on the glasses!! Our next generation should improve on the quality. But yes, I went to a screening here and it took my eyes a good 10-15 min to adjust, but then it was ok.

Jesse Wilson said...

Just came across this article today in the SF Chronicle about 3D eye fatigue. It has quotes from Guido here at Dolby. I'm actually working with him on our 3D strategy model right now:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/02/19/MN7G1C3O2O.DTL

JW