Sunday, September 20, 2009

Some very nice Freddie & accompanying lore.

I’m up at our place at Tahoe-Donner this weekend. About to head down the mountain in an hour or so but I thought I would throw in this post before I leave.

Checked my email this morning and found that my friend John Burke had sent me and others a link to a terrific performance by Freddie Hubbard.

That got me thinking…

Freddie won a Grammy for “First Light,” a copy of which I had on LP and played a lot. I was going to look it up for this post just to make sure that it had indeed won a Grammy, but I started looking in the 80’s and could not find it. It turns out Freddie made the record in 1971, the year I bought it. Man did that make me feel old.

Anyway, about the early 90’s I realized that I hadn’t heard anything from or about Freddie in quite some time. I feared he had died and I had not gotten the news. The Internet was in its infancy so I couldn’t do the quick on-line research we all do these days. Finally, I happened to read a magazine article that indicated that Freddie had cut his lip and it had become infected, preventing him from playing his trumpet/flugelhorn at all.

I confirmed this just now on his Wikipedia page:

Following a long setback of health problems and a serious lip injury in 1992 where he ruptured his upper lip and subsequently developed an infection, Hubbard was again playing and recording occasionally, even if not at the high level that he set for himself during his earlier career.

Anyway, take a hike back to ‘82 or ‘83 and enjoy this cool performance that my friend John was kind enough to send our way.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need think about it. Despite the emails, the overwhelming evidence showing global warming is happening hasn't changed.
"The e-mails do nothing to undermine the very strong scientific consensus . . . that tells us the Earth is warming, that warming is largely a result of human activity," Jane Lubchenco, who heads the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, told a House committee. She said that the e-mails don't cover data from NOAA and NASA, whose independent climate records show dramatic warming.

Anonymous said...

Мне понравился ваш сайтик, так держать.

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Well I agree but I think the post should have more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

hello, spring is cooming! good post there, tnx for www.blogger.com