Monday, November 19, 2007

Horace, (but not the Roman poet)

"Jazz is not background music. You must concentrate upon it in order to get the most of it. You must absorb most of it. The harmonies within the music can relax, soothe, relax, and uplift the mind when you concentrate upon and absorb it. Jazz music
stimulates the minds and uplifts the souls of those who play it was well as of those who listen to immerse themselves in it. As the mind is stimulated and the soul uplifted, this is eventually reflected in the body"

~~ Horace Silver

Every time I listen to "Song For My Father" (which is at least a couple of times a year, often more), my mind is stimulated, my soul uplifted, and I'm shore 'nuff poppin' my fingers and bobbin' my head.

~ tom



1 comment:

-K- said...

That's what so great about the internet. I can be reminded of Horace Silver and less than 30 seconds later I'm listening to "Safari" (via Napster).